Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Evoke 2009

So, the local demo comittee met up at Die Kleine Bierstube in Aarhus to get some beers and eat some German specialites before watching the live (crappy) stream from Evoke.

Got back to Puryx' appartment jus
t in time for the 4k competition. We were impressed by the fact the the compos weren't really delayed (hurray).

The competition was kind of bland to watch - 8 entries of which 2 were 1k's. A personal favorite of mine from the competition is the runner up entry - Paradistance by Titan. I usually don't like what they cram out, however this time they had a pleasant effects show with fast paced music - it worked pretty well for me.

The winning entry, Lunaquatic made by BlueFlame, was technically impressive and surely ruled the competition - however, showing a wobbling box over a distorted plane for far too long annoyed me.

These two entries were ones that crushed the competitors. None of the other entries reached their level by far. A misplaced 4k executable graphics entry with
slide-show styled movement and very dull ambient light filled up the 3rd place gap. However, I'd recommend that mad release such (amazing) releases elsewhere ... And yes, I did read the info-file saying that he was waiting for the right time to release ...

I will resist the urge of wasting blog-lines on a review of the 64k competition as the three entries were sub-standard releases. While I do appreciate that 4k is the new 64k, I don't understand the lack of quality entries in these competition. The winner entry had a very well fitted name - Applied Mediocrity and was harshly brought to us by Kakiarts.

What I really don't get in this 64k is the fact that most of the effects were quite cool, but clashed together in a strange way obscured by colors that would bear the official Dutch Color Scheme sticker.

I mean - just look at the screen shot on the right. This intro had it all, gray scale scenes, red blobby things, rainbow tunnels and yellow boxes - go figure!

The demo competition was clearly ruled by ASD and their lovely Chameleon demo. A nice mixture of 2D cartoon with dark 3D objects. Some might say that Navis and the rest of .gr-scene could renew their material, but yet the out come is well designed and clearly above the average. From what I can see this demo is heavily inspired by their own Metmorphosis and Midnight Run. To get back on track, I'd rather see the creative team from ASD give the style from Beyond the walls of Eryx a wack.




No comments:

Post a Comment